Simple Black Bean Enchiladas
Now, who doesn’t like a good Mexican-inspired dish?
I seriously love Mexican food.
I will quite literally “run for tacos”, as the many t-shirts out there say.
I basically used the burgers as the filling.
You can really include any veggies you like when you’re processing the enchilada filling.
Peppers, carrots, celery, grated zucchini – these would all work well.
As for the enchilada sauce, you could totally make your own – just Google it.
But, I’m all for the balance between healthy and reasonably-speedy so canned enchilada sauce I did use.
I love the recipe because it’s great for leftovers too.
I’ve often taken this to work as the next day and a quick heat up in the microwave is all that’s needed.
This version is gluten free because I used corn tortillas and there aren’t any breadcrumbs or anything in the black bean mixture.
Of course, you don’t have to use the corn tortillas and could go with whole wheat instead.
I just love the corn tortillas for a more authentic taste.
Plus, these simple Simple Black Bean Enchiladas are great way to get more legumes in.
Specifically here, black beans.
We know that higher intakes of fibres are associated with lower risks of heart disease, stroke and Type 2 Diabetes.
And black beans are bursting with fibre as well as protein and iron.
These have become a go-to in my house and I hope you love them too 🙂
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped (any colour will do)
- 1/4 large sweet white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 - 6" corn tortillas
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- Shredded cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil 2 large baking dishes.
- Working in batches, blend the black beans, onions, garlic, yellow pepper, shredded carrots in a home blender or food processor until very smooth.
- If mixture is very dry, can add a small amount of olive oil to smooth it out.
- For each tortilla, fill 1/3 of the tortilla with approximately 1/4 cup of black bean filling. Roll up and place seam side down on a lightly greased baking dish.
- Do this for all 12 tortillas. Place closely, side-by-side in the dish.
- Top each of the 5 tortillas with 1/2 of the can of enchilada sauce. Add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake in the 400 degrees F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Only serving 2 adults? Make the whole recipe and keep the next pan of enchiladas cooked for an easy re-heat the next day!