Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Purple Cabbage and Pomegranates
Oh boy, oh BOY.
You know, sometimes recipe development just does NOT work.
Full disclosure: I’ve had plenty of “huge embarrassing failures” when it comes to tweaking, developing and testing new dishes.
I mean, let’s face it: it’s not all gonna be gold 🙂
But when it DOES work?
It’s a beautiful thing.
Case in point: this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Purple Cabbage and Pomegranates!
It’s simply delish and chock-full of the good stuffs (good stuffs being a scientific word for fibre, protein, healthy carbs, etc.)
Now can I call is “simple”….welllll, simple in that there aren’t any complicated processes to conquer.
Although, it has more “prep steps” than I usually like so let’s file this under “Oh You Fancy” for that reason.
I introduced it to an unsuspecting crowd our recent Halloween party and the test audience gave it two thumbs up.
And not only is it delicious and healthy, it’s “B. E. A. utiful” to boot.
Hence to the “Oh You Fancy” category it goes 😉
It travels well for lunches too but warning: keeps for only a day or two. I find the cabbage starts to have a slightly different flavour after a day or two.
Because of the roasting of the sweet potatoes, cooking of the rice and the toasting of the nuts, start these steps early in the day when you want to have it and then they’re done and ready to go whenever you want to throw it together and serve.
You can do all the above and even put them in the fridge (in separate containers) and when you’ve got the rest of the salad ready to go, put it all together.
Sometimes it’s a bonus to have warm ingredients I’ve found, like this salad I would make in the summer because the heat from the orzo would just slightly melt the cheese and added a lovely creamy texture.
Grab the recipe for the Lemony Orzo Pasta Salad with Mint here.
But for this one, cool or room temp ingredients are best.
One more thing: if you struggle to get pomegranate seeds out like I used to (hello hours of separating piecey-white stuff from seeds), try this trick I use: whack the back of a sliced pomegranate, face down and the seeds fly out.
I hope you enjoy this salad!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 small packages of snap peas, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ large head purple cabbage
- 2 pomegranates
- 1 package slivered almonds or pine nuts
- Fresh mint
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wash and roughly peel sweet potatoes. Cut into cubes. Place on baking trays. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some salt over them. Roast in oven at 425F for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, cook rice to package instructions. Let cool.
- Cut cabbage head into thirds. Thinly slice cabbage by hand or use a Mandolin (I have one but didn’t use it!) 😉
- Remove pomegranate seeds from fruit (I’m gonna post how to easily do this but basically you cut it in half, hold the side with the seeds facing down in your palm and whack it with the back of a wooden spoon into a bowl in the sick. They ALL come out.)
- Toast pine nuts in a medium heat pan until brown - watch they don’t burn.
- Once everything is cooled, toss sweet potatoes, snap peas, brown rice, purple cabbage, pomegranates.
- Toss with dressing.
- Put on serving platter or large bowl.
- Top with toasted pine nuts and fresh torn mint.